Sunday 10 April 2011

The Rehabilitation of A Princess

A few weeks ago, I was bemoaning the fact that the Princess of Wales was happy to be excluded from the vote because she hates politics and isn't interested in learning about the issues.

Then, about a week later, I took the opportunity at the end of the day to write to my city councillor, advising him that I am absolutely opposed to the building of a new NHL arena in our city using taxpayer money.

I came back to work the next morning, about 16 hours later, to find that my city councillor had already responded to me (and not a form letter, or mass email, either), stating that he shares my views and will be opposing any motion Council introduces to build this arena with public money.

I was rather impressed and was talking about it at break. The one who was most interested? The Princess of Wales. She was so intrigued, in fact, that she asked if she could use my letter as a template for her letter to her own councillor. And then she wrote it that afternoon.

So it just goes to show, people can always surprise you.

I am sad to report, however, that the Princess of Wales has found a new position at another company, and we will be losing her shortly. I will miss her especially, as she has been a great support with regard to the ongoing bizarreness that is Two Clowns (stories to follow).

3 comments:

Keith said...

Having been on the receiving end of letters I really appreciate a well written one. I could easily believe local level politicians have the same response. They probably get many letters that could have been "written in crayon", if you remember the phrase.

I badly want to see changes made to harness the communication potentials of the Internet so that ordinary people can join the discussion, and politicians get a sense of what their constituents really think, without pollsters getting in the middle. In fact I think people should routinely lie to pollsters on every issue. I do, when they manage to reach me.

batgirl said...

That's kind of a reassuring incident. Gonna use it in a story?

Philippe de St-Denis said...

Batgirl,

I think a lot of this blog will be used in a story...