Tuesday 24 April 2012

Nu Shooz

More tales of frustration and incredulidity from my place of employment:

Yvette is a breast cancer survivor. That doesn't keep her from smoking, but she has been at least three years without a reoccurance. Except that her docotr recently found a handful of tny masses in her lung. They are too small to biopsy, so they are monitoring the masses until June to see if they have grown.

So, you'd think that Yvette would see herself as someone with a vested interest in the health care system in this province. The subject is a perennial one: the system is constantly under attack from a lack of funding and a governement who is convinced that privatizing the system (a la the US) is the way to go.

And last night, we had a provincial election. Voting is important (I daresay, imperative) whenever one has the opportunity. It is especially so when issues as basic as education and environment and health care are being discussed in ways that could significantly impact one's services.

So imagine my shock and dismay when I said to Yvette this morning, "Did you vote last night?" and her response was, "No, I never vote. I never know what the issues are and I never know who to vote for." Then she showed me her foot. "I got new shoes, though."

New shoes. This stupid bitch's priority was not shorter waiting times, or better drug coverage or improved services: no, she wanted new shoes.

I had to leave the fucking room, or I was going to say some unpleasant things.What is the excuse for such a level of passivity??? I DO NOT UNDERSTAND!!!

But I don't want to hear one single word out of her about how the health care system is letting her down, if and when it turns out to be cancer. Cuz then I will say it all.

I have more tales of stupidity, but I"m struggling with a chest cold, so they will hve to wait until I feel like sitting up for longer.

3 comments:

Keith said...

The days I think that the solution is requiring people to vote, I only need think of people like that, and I'm back to the drawing board.

I've heard it suggested that voter turnout this election was on the order of 50%, which is better than the 41% last time, but still. What would it take to make people vote, if they didn't vote in this one? Nothing I suspect, unless they were handing out free shoes at the voting station. That might get your idiot coworkers attention.

Sometimes I think we should get a tax credit for voting, the kind that only reduces taxable income. Or maybe you pay a lower percentage of tax if you vote. I've thought that everything should close on voting day. Yes, everything. All work places. The only people working are essential services. Or maybe the rule should be that the places could be open, but they can't serve you unless you produce proof of having cast your ballot. In my dreams.

Wait! I have it. All the people that don't vote go into a pool, and we draw names totaling say, 1%. Those people are put into a pit and given sharp sticks smeared with shit. If there is a single survivor, we let them out. Maybe.

Elizabeth said...

I think it should be like it is in Australia. Mandatory. Vote... or get a fine. you can spoil your ballot if you don't know who to vote for, but at least you freaking made the effort.

Philippe de St-Denis said...

Amen, to both of you.