Monday 26 January 2009

Starvin' Marvin

What do you call an Ethiopian with two dogs? A rancher.
That's me today. I've started a new diet. It's called Isagenics (I think), and essentially what happens is that I replace two of my meals with these shakes and once a week, I fast. On my fast days, I drink this "cleanse" formula four times a day. It tastes like shit, but it's forcing me to drink a lot more water than I generally do.

I don't intend to be on this diet forever. My thought is that I will do this until I lose a certain amount of weight and then get back on to Weight Watchers. I tried WW last year, but even though I was fanatical about keeping track of everything that I ate, I just kept losing and gaining the same five friggin' pounds, usually around the time my period was to start. It was really discouraging.

I did some research on the internet and discovered that the medicine I'm on for fibromyalgia, amitryiptilene, makes it difficult to lose weight. So I'm hoping the Isagenics is drastic enough to have some kind of effect.

Things at work haven't gotten a whole lot better either. The day after my last post, I was upset enough that I actually cried at work. This is unheard of behaviour from me, I can tell you that. I won't bother to recount the details, since ultimately they are trivial and boring to anyone not actually involved, but let's just say that I have a healthy reserve of resentment for Senior Member, who is not back until the 9th.

Last week, we learned that Senior Member has indicated to The Boss that if she doesn't get the time off that she wants when she wants it, she will quit. To which I say, "Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out." Senior Member has been with the company for 14 years, and is looking at retirement in the next five or six years anyway. And while she has become something of an institution, I have consistently stated in my performance reviews that I would be willing to step into her position when that time comes. (That was before the last debacle with the Lazy Douchebag). I understand that the Powers That Be don't want Senior Member to bugger off and leave them in a tight spot, but c'mon; no-one is indispensible. I am frankly appalled that this company would allow any of their staff members to hold them hostage, especially when they have someone with half a brain who is willing and able to fill the position for less money than they are currently paying Senior Member.

Senior Member still has five weeks of vacation owed to her, and we know for certain that she is going on a cruise in the first two weeks of August, which is traditionally when my co-worker, S., visits her sister in B.C. But Senior Member didn't consult or even check with S. when she booked her holidays, so we are Not Happy Campers.

5 comments:

Cori said...

Amitryptilene is the bomb. I'm on it also.

But I, too, have been fighting my way up and down the same five pounds, and I'd really like to get down more than that.

I've started some serious exercise, and I'm hoping that this will push me out of the rut, because I don't think I have the fortitude for a more drastic diet.

Terri said...

I'm totally feeling you on the diet front, too. I'm struggling too and it's very discouraging. I'm hoping that my preparations for my 10K run in May will help. Though, it might help if I get serious about my training. Hmmmm...

Anyway, hope things get better.. especially on the job.

Philippe de St-Denis said...

Cori,
Eleval is, as you say, da bomb. But this fasting thing is NUTS!

Shmee,
You go,girl! I don't even trot for the bus anymore!

G- said...

I need to figure out what I'm going to do for a diet. Blech.

That drug is, as you probably know, an older antidepressant. The tricyclic antidepressants essentially act as reuptake inhibitors, just as the new ones do... so you might get the same pain relief from a newer reuptake inhibitor, without the weight issue. Your tricyclic acts on at least two neurotransmitters, I believe, so you'd likely want to try an MRI (multiple reuptake inhibitor) such as Effexor or Cymbalta. Effexor is now available as a generic, which makes it less sucky to buy.

Or you could try leaving your serotonin alone and going straight to an NRI, which also might give you pain relief--a pharmacist would be able to tell you more. Pharmacists are typically much better sources of drug information than doctors are.

As near as I can tell, some of the newer RIs do cause weight gain (Paxil, for example, is the devil), but others are very much Your Mileage May Vary. You might find one that is magic for you.

Mind you, if the fact that it makes weight a bit sticky is the only issue you're having with your medication, and it otherwise works well, you might not want to make a change at all.

G- said...

Oh, incidentally, if they can afford to pay Senior Member whatever she is getting, they can afford to pay you the same.

Depending on the salary Senior Member started at and what kind of raises she's had over the years, she might be underpaid relative to the market. The company might be expecting to pay more to replace her. So you'd still be a bargain.