Friday 13 February 2009

A Whirlwind Week of Wonders

So it's been a week, and in those seven days, I have...

a) lost two pounds
b) qualified for a mortgage and
c) received a promotion and wage increase at work.

It will be a few weeks before I can leave the mailroom for good, since a new person needs to be trained and there is much work to catch up on, but my days of that particular drudgery are numbered. The timing of this promotion is perfect, since the Senior Staff Member has been exhibiting behaviours that could otherwise earn her a boot in the box.

So I'm sitting back and treating myself to a wee dram of single malt to celebrate what has been a pretty stellar week.

As for the houses...we qualified for a much larger mortgage than I had believed possible, given our credit history and the current economic environment. We are very excited to be looking at homes, and have the world's best realtor to guide us. We met her several years ago when some crazy little East Indian man offered to buy J. a house and then wasted all of our time by underbidding on houses we liked. Eventually, we just told him to piss off and got into a townhouse in the north end, but Helen (our realtor) was just excellent. We really bonded with her and we are very pleased to be working with her again.

We're meeting with her this Sunday to discuss what we're looking for and to look at homes we've found on-line. So far, we have three that we're quite intrigued by, and here are the links:

There's this one.

And this one.

And this one as well.

Now, my personal preference is the first one, so I'm especially excited to see it. If memory serves, this is the house Helen first showed us when we met her, so it would be kismet if it turned out to be our new home. When we saw it the first time, the loft wasn't finished and the stairs up to it had only been roughed in, so the new owners have done some lovely things with it. The only qualms we have with the house is its location. It's really close to Rectal (Rexall) Place, so on the plus side, we'd be within walking distance to concerts, home and garden shows and Klondyke Days. On the downside, we'd be within walking distance to Oiler's games, concerts, the rodeo and Klondyke Days.

Anyway, I'll keep you posted.

4 comments:

Michele in Michigan said...

I like #1 the best, with #3 as my second choice (although that lighted kitchen ceiling might give me seizures) hehehe.

Congrats on the job! Maybe it was all the karma people sent your way :)

Happy house hunting!!!!

Taryn said...

Whoohoo! Great week overall for you!

As for the houses, it is so hard to choose. #3 I like the main floor, but the bedrooms look kind of small and the kitchen was kinda icky, though possibly bigger than your current kitchen. #1 I can see why you like it with the backyard (and established garden), but I worry about the area and parking and I wasn't a fan of the kitchen. #2 didn't really grab me all that much. In fact of the 3, the only thing I remember of #2 is huge yard and red house. :) Of course, the fun is in the looking.

Don't forget to think lifestyle though as well with your tendencies to have people over. Parking availability is a good thing.

Congrads on the job! Wasn't a surprise you would get it - you are an asset not to be overlooked.

Our best thoughts to you for the coming few weeks and its excitement!

G- said...

With #1 or #3, you wind up living quite near the Dread Pirate Clown Shoes and myself. You can decide for yourself whether that's a bonus, but we would certainly love to have you as semi-neighbours.

And congratulations--this is all very exciting and wonderful. Man. Look what happens when I go out of town and fall out of touch for, like, a week.

Okay, now I'm thinking I should leave town more often, because it's clearly beneficial to people. Sigh.

G-

G- said...

Oh, btw, there's a very cool-looking house between my place and V&I's place that's been on the market awhile. Might be something wrong with it, or it might be overpriced--in which case, they're probably about ready to bring the price down. I'll get the address for you.