Tuesday 8 March 2011

Is This Junior High? Or An Office? I Can't Tell.

Today, I was in the dispatch area, talking to Stretch about a webtech issue and one of my drivers. Wolf Woman was on her way out for a smoke, and said, "I need to see you for a sec."

So when she came back in, she took me aside and said, "Teeth asked me why you're not taking your breaks with us anymore."

"Why doesn't she just ask me?" I said, exasperated.

"I dunno, but I didn't tell her anything."

I thanked her for her time, but seriously: did I somehow magically get transported back to junior high school? Is Teeth so chronically phobic about an honest confrontation--or even communication--that she has to go to her BFF about it, rather than talk to me directly?

Well, if you don't like confrontation, Teeth, don't be such an asshole. Or is it just fights you think you can win that you pick?

My outrage continued apace today, because at the end of the day, Sylvester was explaining to Svetlana, the new biller (who speaks with some kind of eastern European accent) that tomorrow we won't be doing any billing.

"But there will be lots to do, like scanning and filing and photocopying, and...well, I'm not sure how you're going to take this..."

"What?" Svetlana asked.

"Well," Sylvester said, "when Teeth gets me to do these tasks, she calls me her 'scanning bitch.'"

"Yeah," Teeth piped up. "In Canada, it isn't a mean thing to say. It just means you're doing my work for the day."

Yeah, way to go, Teeth. Let me make something clear to you: in Canada, referring to someone as your bitch, especially in the workplace, is not only mean. It is juvenile and potential harrassment if the "bitch" deems it so, you loopy cunt.

Jesus Christ, how does this woman keep her job??? And everytime I think that she was being set up to take the Office Manager position, I damn near faint dead away.

And by the way, she has no friggin' idea what to make of me taking my breaks with the other billers. She has fallen all over herself in the last day and a half to be pleasant, cheerful and inclusive towards me. She is desperately confused, and it's kind of funny to watch.

3 comments:

debbie said...

The last office I worked in had similar issues. The office manager, D, was a bully and the office was basically divided into her cronies and everyone else.

One day a friend of mine, A, was called into D's office. As A entered the office, D, without looking up from her paperwork, said, "Your fired." As A stood there gaping with disbelieve, D looked up at her and quipped, "Just kidding!"

Needless to say, the office environment was not a healthy one, and instead of making real changes, head office figured they could fix things by forcing everyone to take multiple team-building seminars. So helpful.

Pisser said...

Apparently she does not grasp the true meaning of "break."

ADMcClelland said...

I once worked for a boss who was a bully. He would walk toward someone who had made an error and yell; "Hey f*ck-up!" When he tried it with me I ignored him until he used my name.

On one occasion I was assembling a valve bank for a custom order near the coffee area in the shop. A friend was pouring himself a coffee when the boss walked up behind him and slapped him in the back of the head and handed him an order he'd entered wrong. My friend rushed off to fix the error while the boss made himself a coffee. I called the boss' name and said;

"Just so we're clear, if you ever do that to me you'll pull back a bloody stump."

The boss looked at me and said; "Good to know." He treated me with more respect from then on.

We teach people how to treat us. Some get subtlety, some need blunt messages.